About Interiors FurnishingsWorking with You Attache Design Press PGD Blog Contact Us

Thursday, June 4, 2009

All Things Glass II / Artist Series II

I was going to do a blog on art glass - part two in my "All Things Glass" series. Then I decided I could not do a blog on art glass without referencing the creme de la creme of glass artists - Lino Tagliapietra. I was overjoyed when one of my favorite publications ~ Traditional Home ~ did a story on him in their June/July issue. The first line in their story reads "Lino Tagliapietra is the greatest living glass artist you've never heard of." There are accolades left and right about his magnificent works from people in the know - Corning Museum of Glass, Steuben.... In fact, Art of Glass 2 whose mission statement begins "Art of Glass 2 is a regional cultural partnership that will bring to Hampton Roads the best in contemporary glass from around the world..... " displays Mr. Tagliapietra's work on every single page of their website.

Mr. Tagliapietra's life began in the right place - born on the Venetian Island of Murano - a place known for its glassmaking industry dating back to the late 13th century. At the young age of 21, after 10 years of apprenticing, he earned the rank of maestro. In 1979, Mr. Tagliapietra was invited to teach at the Pilchuck Glass School - since then Pilchuck has become one of the most influential glass centers in the world. The maestro's influence as a teacher can be seen in numerous works of other glass artists. It has been said that his generosity as a teacher was beyond compare. Not only does he have my respect as an artist, he has my heart because of his generosity as a teacher.

As I have said, I love glass. I would love to have one (many really) of his pieces in my home but according to Traditional Home, a pink bowl with applied red decoration he made sold for $4,750.00. YIKES! Maybe in a few years.

Fortunately, Mr. Tagliapietra's artistic works are always on display - on his website, at Heller Gallery in NYC and Traver Gallery in Seattle, WA (East and West coast, how thoughtful), and right here on my blog.







I adore this piece...


The detail is extraordinary...


If you are interested in seeing beautiful art glass, check out Art of Glass 2 and they will tell you where to find it.

Don't worry, in a subsequent blog, I will show you beautiful art glass that we don't have to break the bank for, including the pieces I have in my own home. Stay tuned - the gem of the week is coming up.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

How wonderful! You are leaving me a comment. Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin