About Interiors FurnishingsWorking with You Attache Design Press PGD Blog Contact Us

Friday, August 14, 2009

Fun Friday ~ Reluctant Artist

I cannot really put this post in the 'Artist Series' as the artist won't allow me to use his name or picture. He doesn't define himself as an artist ~ but he is. I told him he was a pain for not letting me use his name. He said I was a pain for taking these pictures. Fortunately I frequent the house when I am in Rochester and someone very close to me is very close to him ~ vague enough? ~ so I get away with stuff :) The picture above is the backyard. Let me show you a few more photos so you can take more of it in. The one very close to me helps with this portion of the artistry.....






Here is my favorite spot to be......



My daughter always has fun when she visits as well. She gets to see her cousins ~ her teenage male cousins. Lauren is the only girl on both sides of the family. She literally climbs all over these boys and they just play along.....



Lauren is tiny and they are big, so.....




she always feels uplifted when around them!

Back to the reluctant artist. I suppose we should start at the front door.....


The inside is decorated with antiques, Middle Eastern artifacts and rugs, busts, skulls, and books. Books, books, and more books. Oh yeah and bugs ~ insects of many types ~ preserved of course and beautifully framed. The door knocker makes sense now ~ doesn't it?! He repurposes. He designed the mantel and used reclaimed wood molding and columns....


The picture does not do it justice. The scale is difficult to see. The room has 22 foot ceilings ~ you can see the ceiling in the picture. He stripped all the wood with precision....



They are doing another addition on their home. He told me about the antique beams he found that will add architectural interest to the ceiling in their new sun room. I cannot wait to see it. Here is a mid-century French piece he scouted out at a local antique store with extraordinary detail...






This guy looks happy to be on such a magnificent piece....


Then there is the bookcases he designed underneath the staircase ~ what a great use of space....



Shhhhhh.... there is a secret.... my husband and I tried to figure it out for about 10 minutes. The reluctant artist finally showed it to us or "You might break something." His confidence in us was overwhelming......


A secret hideaway! What the heck does he have in there? He won't say. Hmmmm??!!

Then there is the 'pass though' between the great room and the kitchen. Another great use of space....




Wow! Did I happen to mention that the original house was a lake cottage? Yes, it was. I even helped scrub the floors on my hands and knees just before they moved in. Good times.... NOT!

Now we'll go back outside for more artistry. This reluctant artist loves birds. Loves them! Here is the artist's little girl.....


Here are the homes he built for his cohabitants (the holes to get inside are on the sides).....







Of course, the birds also need a place to pray. How thoughtful....




I have said to him, "Why don't you sell those beautiful bird houses you make?" His response "No, I would never do that."

So there you have it ~ The Reluctant Artist. I am sorry I cannot reveal him to you but those are his wishes. If I do reveal him, I doubt I would be let back into their sanctuary. Truthfully, it is at times my sanctuary too. Shhh... don't tell him. It may go to his head.

Oh yeah... what does one get this 'artist' for Christmas....



A bug of course! But what will I get him this Christmas??? UGH!

5 comments:

  1. Gorg pics. Lauren looks so big. You get them Veuve Cliquot for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW is an understatement! I've enjoyed this post so much! Lauren is so cute - you can tell her cousins just adore her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place to live OR visit! You are so lucky Paula! I absolutely love the birdhouses. The Reluctant Artist is very talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, as the one with the 'special relationship' to the reluctant artist, I can tell you I think the Veuve Cliquot is a brilliant gift idea! Thanks Kristin!

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful! You are leaving me a comment. Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin