About Interiors FurnishingsWorking with You Attache Design Press PGD Blog Contact Us

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Map in Time

Gorgeous! Isn't it?! This is a map of London 1827. I find these reproductions extraordinary.

Florence 1910

Naples

Paris

Stockholm

Venice 1910

The originals are from a collection owned by the well known antique dealer, Rudy van Thiel, Jr. His private collection. In 2009, he decided to share his beauties with the world. Exquisite reproductions are now being made. Here is how Mr. Van Thiel describes the process...

"I started collecting old coins and maps when I was twelve years young. Browsing flea markets, yard sales and local auctions was pretty normal in our family. By 2007 my bounty of maps had grown to several hundreds and we decided to add some of them to our collections.

We put a team together and started experimenting with how to create a replica that would reflect the authenticity and warmth of my originals. I also started hunting for maps that would fill in the gaps and cover almost all countries in the world as well as many provinces and states.

After more than a year of hard work, in the spring of 2009 we introduced The Map Collection.

Each of our hand made map reproductions is placed on canvas, a technique used in the old days to create a folding travel map. Each map comes in several sizes. Most frames are hand finished by our great team of antique restorers. After an order for one is placed, we start custom making that unique map."


I have shown just a small sample. His collection spans many continents, countries, and cities.

I love placing these in studies, dens, and family rooms. Placing a country of my clients' heritage or a special city has proven to be a wonderful personal touch.

Do you have a special place?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paula, those are beautiful maps! I found a website called Historic Map Works that has historic maps of my hometown in Ohio; I would like to use these to decorate my house. I've also thought of putting a world map in our family room to track our travels. Thanks for sharing! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful map collection Paula! I adore old maps and my other obsession is beautiful earthballs...

    Have a great week, cheers: Evi

    ReplyDelete
  3. These maps are so gorgeous and they have so much character! Thank you for sharing and for following me on Twitter and Frou La La blog. I look forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! You have saved the day, Paula Grace!

    Last year, my Dad came across a print, similar, of France, and had wanted to purchase it as a gift to my Mom. Being that she is French, and is so, personality and lifestyle wise, he thought this would be the most ideal gift. I was pretty impressed, but was dissapointed that the store discontinued the size of print he wanted!

    After all that! I can't wait to tell him of your find :)

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful! You are leaving me a comment. Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin