About Interiors FurnishingsWorking with You Attache Design Press PGD Blog Contact Us

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Crime Against Nature

Ok ~ I am not one to speak ill of another. I completely understand wanting to watch television. I, myself, an immersed in So You Think You Can Dance. However there is a place to stop and take in your surroundings, breath in fresh air, and enjoy the company of others. That place is outside on one's patio or deck. I can't tell you how I have enjoyed endless conversation with friends while sipping wine on my deck. The picture above is, in my opinion, a crime against nature. The stone work is impeccable; the kitchen divine; the stack supporting the television blocking one appears to be a magnificent view ~ awful to me on many levels. Does one really need a television everywhere one goes??!!

I wrote a post about round dining table and how they promote the art of conversation. I believe in that art!! I am all for technology but I fear we're losing some of the things that make us human. I saw a commercial the other day that scared me. It was for I believe a new phone with many features. The commercial started with what appeared to be astronauts. They entered a room with a floating rock. One stuck his hand inside of it. Out came the new phone product. Then his hand and arm turned into a robotic appendage. I was appalled. The last thing I want to do is turn into a robot but I fear sometimes that we are.

I was at the pool yesterday. Kids were laughing and splashing. I saw their dutiful parents sitting on the pool's edge examining their iPhone or Blackberry. Really??!! I wanted to say "Watch your child not only for safety reasons but they grow so fast ~ enjoy them NOW!" Now trust me, I have a Blackberry. I have looked at it at inappropriate times. But I also have a confident little girl who speaks eloquently about her feelings. "Mom," she says, "it hurts me when you are more interested in your phone than in me." OUCH! For me and her. "Sorry my love."

I'd love to know your thoughts about this...

5 comments:

  1. That is a crime. If they'd have stopped at the kitchen, it would have been a home run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree!
    Bad enough to need a television outside but to block that view with it ?
    Ridiculous ... silly people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you, Paula! I posted about this very thing the other day....and I totally agree with you on the TV...not a pretty sight!!!! Love the one you're with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a man's world. Men like TV and outside. So this I am sure is utter and total heaven to some man.

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful! You are leaving me a comment. Thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin